Mining industry members will:
- have operations or exploration projects in developing countries;
- have staff whose responsibilities include sustainability and/or CSR;
- be committed to working on three main issues identified by extractive companies working overseas as priorities:
- community engagement, investment, and development
- human rights
- contribute annually toward the DI’s operating expenses.
INGO members will:
- have “on-the-ground” operations in developing countries in the area of sustainable community development;
- be open-minded and posses the spirit for cross-sector partnering;
- provide leadership in finding new approaches and solutions to development problems;
- provide in-kind contributions to the DI where feasible.
Both industry and INGO members will:
- have the capacity to operationalize the goals of the DI ;
- collaborate based on the principles of transparency, accountability, mutual benefit, and sustainability;
- commit to respect each other’s contribution towards the objectives of the DI;
- commit to regular and consistent senior-level participation;
- share successful experiences and lessons learned for mutual capacity building and knowledge management
- explore, develop, and test innovative partnerships; and,
- adhere to Chatham House Rules and commit to respecting the confidentiality of others.
“Active Observers” (AO) is the status given to participants in the DI from government (e.g. DFAIT, NRCan, CIDA), other organizations, and individuals that have an interest in the work of the DI and are able to contribute to its objectives.
AO’s cannot serve on the Steering Committee.
Active Observers will:
- be active players in the CSR, cross sector partnering, and/or development fields;
- have a strong reputation for accountability, transparency, and ethical performance;
- adhere to Chatham House Rules and commit to respecting the confidentiality of others;
- designate a senior level decision maker, preferably at the Director level, and make a commitment to regular participation; and,
- be approved for membership in the DI by the Steering Committee.